Data Management Policy
The Oxfordshire Science Festival (OSF) is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy and will not sell personal data.
This Policy explains when and why we collect personal information about people who visit our website, visit the Festival or work with the charity, how we use it, the conditions under which we may disclose it to others and how we keep it secure.
By using our website or subscribing to mailing lists, you are agreeing to be bound by this Policy.
Any questions regarding this Policy and our privacy practices or requests to be removed from our mailing lists can be sent by email [email protected].
Oxfordshire Science Festival is a charity dedicated to the development of a science festival in the region of Oxford. Charity no 1151361 and company limited by guarantee no 7189165. The name of the Festival is IF Oxford, sometimes referred to as Oxford Science and Ideas Festival and our office is based within Oxford Centre for Innovation, New Road, Oxford, OX1 1BY.
We obtain information about you when you use our website, for example, to book tickets to events, or if you register to receive communications by post or email. The personal information we collect might include your name, address, email address, IP address, and information regarding what web pages have been looked at and when.
If you buy tickets to one of our events, your card information is not held by us, it is collected by our third party payment processors – Eventbrite, who specialise in the secure online capture and processing of credit/debit card transactions, as explained below.
People aged 16 or under
We are concerned to protect the privacy of children aged 16 or under. If you are aged 16 or under‚ please get your parent/guardian’s permission beforehand whenever you provide us with personal information.
How we may use your data
We may use your information to:
- process ticket orders that you have submitted;
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts between you and the charity;
- deal with entries into a competition;
- notify you of changes to our services;
- send you communications which you have requested and that may be of interest to you, such as a forthcoming Festival or related activities;
- process a grant or job application.
We review our retention periods for personal information on a regular basis. We are legally required to hold some types of information to fulfil our statutory obligations (for example the collection of Gift Aid). We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity, or as long as is set out in any relevant contract you hold with us.
- If you are signing up to one of our newsletters, we will hold your personal information until you instruct us to remove it.
- We may analyse your personal information to create a profile of your interests and preferences so that we can contact you with information relevant to you.
Who has access to your data
- OSF will not sell or rent your information to third parties.
- OSF will not share your individual information with third parties for marketing purposes.
- OSF may, with consent from the individuals, share aggregate or anonymised data with carefully selected third parties, such as the UK Science Festival Network, for developing the culture of successful science festivals in the UK.
OSF may interrogate data, with the assistance of third-party researchers. In this instance ethics approval will be sought from a university research ethics committee (or equivalent) and this will be highlighted at the point of data capture. These data may be audio-visual, text based, or biometric information, which may be combined over a time period with data from other sources. Records will be kept confidential at all times during analysis and only aggregate or anonymised results of analysis will be used in publications of any form.
- Very occasionally, we might pass your information to our authorised partners for the purposes of completing tasks and providing services to you on our behalf. For example booking information (name and contact email) to a venue hosting an event for us for health and safety purposes.
- However, when we use authorised partners, we disclose only the personal information that is necessary to deliver the service and we have a contract in place that requires them to keep your information secure and not to use it for their own direct marketing purposes. Please be reassured that we will not release your information to third parties, unless we are required to do so by law, for example, by a court order or for the purposes of prevention of fraud or other crime.
We will only contact you for marketing purposes by email if you have given your prior consent. You can change your marketing preferences at any time by contacting us.
The accuracy of your information is important to us so if you change email address, or any other details we should know about, please tell us.
If you would like to have a copy of the records we keep about you, please ask for a copy.
Correspondence details are:
email: [email protected]
telephone: +44 (0)1865 810 027
postal address: Oxford Centre for Innovation, New Road, Oxford, OX1 1BY
Consent for film/video, audio, photography and written statements
We sometimes take photographs/video at events for website, social media and marketing purposes. These photographs are stored on a secure server, shared only with authorised partners.
In accordance with our child protection policy, we will not permit photographs, video, sound or other images of young people to be taken without the consent of the parents/carers of the child.
Oxfordshire Science Festival (IF Oxford) will take all steps to ensure images are used solely for the purposes they are intended. If you become aware that any images are being used inappropriately you should inform the Oxfordshire Science Festival immediately.
In the event that personal data, such as a written quote, photograph or audio-visual recording are to be used in a publication, which clearly identify an individual, OSF will only do so where the individual (or his/her parent/guardian) has given specific consent.
If individuals do not want to appear in group photographs or audio-visual recording, for instance at crowded events or in recorded audience Question & Answer, where perimeter signage has indicated an ‘opt-out’ clause, individuals must make their views known and identify themselves to the Festival team in the recording/s, otherwise OSF assumes consent and will not specifically identify any individuals thereafter.
OSF will store data related to the Festival audience using local servers or using a professional third-party data storage facility. The preferred supplier, SmartSurvey, stores data on UK/EU-based servers, is ISO27001 certified and fully compliant with the internationally recognised standard for the information security management system (ISMS). The standard requires systematic examination of information security, with comprehensive policies to manage proactively data security risks.
Data will be managed in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR.)